The Question Word Chain Activity is a simple yet challenging Spanish conversation activity you can use with students of various levels. I use this with my grades 5-8 students as well as high school.
This is an effective activity because students have to conjugate verbs correctly as they ask and answer questions, use vocabulary in context, and think creatively to produce their questions and especially to answer them.
To do the activity:
- Set up your board as in the picture. The verbs I have listed are the ones I chose that my students were learning and that would work well with the series of questions: who, what, where, when, and why.
- You begin by having a student ask the first question with “quién” (who) to the student beside him with a verb from the list.
- The other student answers and then asks the next question using “qué” (what) to the next student.
- The next student answers and then asks a question using “cuándo” (when).
- Continue this way until you have gone through all the question words.
- Then begin another chain of questions using one of the other verbs on your board.
This sounds really easy, but you will be amazed at how much your students really have to think. Here is a video example you can watch.